There are a number of goals, important to the process of learning to play the guitar, which may be greatly enhanced and or aided with the help of guitar fretboard stickers.
1. Visualize musical patterns with greater ease - One of the most important aspects of applied musical theory is being able to understand musical patterns and, in the case of guitar, being able to visually recognize such patterns with relation to the guitar fretboard. Guitar fretboard stickers allow the student to readily observe such patterns with greatly reduced mental effort. While it is of course important to eventually memorize such patterns without the help of stickers, fretboard stickers are extremely helpful in initially helping students to become acquainted with the fretboard patterns to be learned.
2. Focus on technique rather than locating note positions - One common difficulty encountered by the beginning guitar student is the problem of trying to focus on a number of things at once. Students must hold the plectrum (pick) correctly, strum notes or chords, think about the musical patterns being played, and articulate notes with (in most cases) the left hand, and all of these things must be done simultaneously. By using stickers for guitar and bass the student can free up one's mental efforts to focus on other aspects of learning until those aspects can be mastered. While it is of course important to eventually memorize the fretboard patterns being learned without the help of stickers, the temporary use of stickers with note indicia, can be extremely beneficial during the most critical learning stages.
3. Form new chords with great ease - While the beginning student typically focuses on learning chords within the first three to five frets of the fingerboard, the intermediate and advanced player must learn to form chords across the entire span of the fingerboard. Guitar stickers with note indicia, allow students to recognize obscure patterns, enabling the student to form a more robust understanding of the fingerboard and chord vocabulary.
4. Translate knowledge from one instrument to another - Very often musicians who are fully competent with one instrument - say, for example, the piano - attempt to learn the guitar, but find the ever elusive guitar fingerboard less than obvious to navigate. Guitar stickers allow musicians who already understand musical patterns in the abstract to visually observe and understand how those patterns relate to the guitar specifically.
5. Put all of the pieces together - With guitar stickers as a visual tool, the task of putting all of the pieces together, from musical theory, to strumming, to articulation, to phrasing and pattern recognition, happens at a much quicker rate. While putting stickers on your guitar will not, in and of itself, turn you into a rock God, it certainly will help you move in the right direction.
6. Explore new phrases and patterns during songwriting - Intermediate and advanced guitar players may wish to use guitar stickers for song writing, since they help one to immediately recognize chords and patterns within a designated key.